Monthly Newsletter – Life@1st Church
Keep up-to-date with our activities through our Monthly Newsletter.
Learn about our many programs, groups and activities in:
Dec 17, 1909: The beginning of Methodist Church in South Charleston at the corner of A Street and 2nd Avenue in a building that was also used as a school house.
1910 to 1912: Services were held on D Street in Shepherd’s Hall (known as Red Man’s Hall) with only 14 members
Sept 1912: brick footer was laid on 2nd Avenue for church building
June 1916: church completed and dedicated
1917: 2nd Avenue church finished
Apr 4, 1954: Ground breaking ceremony for our current church building
Jul 21, 1954: Construction of new building began
Oct 2, 1955: First service held in basement (current building’s social hall) with approx. 350 in attendance (the bell was brought from the old building and installed in the belfry, peeled joyously, heralding another era in the history of the church.)
Nov 27, 1955: First service held in our current day sanctuary (membership numbered 300 families)